The Pursuit of Academic Excellence

The Pursuit of Academic Excellence

The Valedictorian Award is an honor awarded annually to the person who is at the very top of their graduating class and requires focus and hard work for an entire academic career. Jack Somarakis is one senior here at King’s Way who has the opportunity to become the Valedictorian for the class of 2023. In such a competitive race, Jack Somarakis says that being Valedictorian is not his primary focus, “I’m not worried about being Valedictorian. I think it will be cool if I get it, but I have never made that my goal. I only learned that I was in the running at the beginning of this school year. I am more concerned about doing good work than getting an award.” Despite Jack’s humility, his mother, Missy Somarakis, says that where he is now is due to his constant work ethic, “Jack’s sense of responsibility and desire to complete tasks given to him, along with his daily habit of coming home after school/practice, and sitting down in the same place to do his homework, are keys to his success.” 

Being in the lead for Valedictorian means sacrificing many hours, days, and probably opportunities that would have been way more exciting to do than to study for a test or do homework. “I have always been determined to work hard at school and to achieve great grades; that is something my parents have raised me to do. That said, school comes pretty easy to me, and it is pretty easy to achieve good grades.” explained Jack. Often, people in our lives can try to live their dreams through their kids or friends. People will try to push you way harder than needed and raise too high of an expectation; this is not the case for Jack Somarakis, who said, “nobody ever pressured me, I always held myself to a very high standard, so I did not need others to push me. My parents expected me to do the best I could, whether being a C student or an A student. They were okay with either as long as it was my best. It just so happened that I was an A student.” 

Jack Somarakis is not yet set on where he wants to attend college. He said he has narrowed it down to Liberty University or Arizona Christian University. While Liberty and Arizona Christian are on opposite sides of the country, they have strong Christian roots in common. These universities will be natural fit for Jack because both schools have a similar Christian environment that he has experienced his entire school career and could help him with his future career. Missy Samarakis believes that Jack will make a great decision with whatever he chooses, “(I have ) no idea what the future holds for him, but it would not surprise me if he landed somewhere in a church setting.” Whether Jack wins this prestigious award or not, we should all note his story, appreciate his consistent work ethic, and pursuit of excellence. Not only is Jack Somarakis an incredible student, but he is also a leader around the school and a very selfless person. Whatever Jack decides to pursue in his career, it is clear he will succeed due to his hard work, productive habits, and focus on quality.